HISTORY IS OUR FUTURE
And we've been trashing our history
Archive Team is a loose collective of rogue archivists, programmers, writers and loudmouths dedicated to saving our digital heritage. Since 2009 this variant force of nature has caught wind of shutdowns, shutoffs, mergers, and plain old deletions - and done our best to save the history before it's lost forever. Along the way, we've gotten attention, resistance, press and discussion, but most importantly, we've gotten the message out: IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY.
This website is intended to be an offloading point and information depot for a number of archiving projects, all related to saving websites or data that is in danger of being lost. Besides serving as a hub for team-based pulling down and mirroring of data, this site will provide advice on managing your own data and rescuing it from the brink of destruction.
Currently Active Projects (Get Involved Here!)
Archive Team recruiting
Warrior based projects
- Coursera: Deleting some courses of the old platform on June 30, 2016. IRC Channel #cursera.
- Arto: First social media platform of Denmark shut down on June 1, 2016. We've got access till June 30. IRC Channel #archiveteam.
- Fotolog.com: Photo sharing and social networking site
closing on February 20, 2016. Still saving. IRC Channel #fotologout.
- Google Code: Google likes Github more. Shut down on January 26, 2016, but we got a chance to go on saving. IRC Channel #googlecodeblue.
- LiveJournal: Very old, widely regarded as in decline, and has a lot of important stuff buried in it. IRC Channel #recordedjournal.
- RuTracker: Considerable Russian bittorrent tracker in considerable danger. IRC Channel #rutrasher.
- PDF 2016: We've been given a long list of PDF files. We'll get'em. IRC Channel #pdflush.
- yuku: Lately yuku is very unstable and hosting thousands of forums. IRC Channel #archiveteam.
- URLTeam: URL shorteners were a fucking awful idea. IRC Channel #urlteam.
- WikiTeam (WARC format): Saving wikis and their external links for the Wayback Machine. IRC Channel #wikiteam.
- myVIP: Second most popular Hungarian social network now on the verge of disappearing. IRC Channel #byevip.
- FTP: Download all the FTP sites! IRC Channel #effteepee.
- Blingee: >130 million images and 9 years of user content
will be deleted on August 25, 2015. IRC Channel #tragedee. (Status: started banning us, paused.)
- SourceForge: Old, ad supported, adware supported. IRC Channel #coldstorage. (Status: Paused on staff request.)
- Halo: Downloading all the read-only data from Halo. IRC Channel #yolohalo. (Status: Halo3 game stats saved, other versions coming up.)
- Blogger: Google was to restrict public access to adult blogs, but they backed down. We're backing up Blogger anyway. IRC Channel #frogger. (Status: We collected a list of blogs, content grab coming up.)
Help us: ☞ Download and run your warrior ☜.
What's on: online tracker.
- DevPort: This portfolio SaaS provider has reportedly been having infrastructure issues, and removed their social media accounts. Possible impending shutdown.
- Picasa Web Albums: Merging into Google Photos on May 1, 2016. IRC Channel #picasso.
- Google Drive web hosting to be discontinued on August 31, 2016.
- Orkut: Orkut got kut on September 30, 2014. It lives on as a public archive until September 2016. IRC Channel #throatkut.
- Panoramio: Google is migrating photos only (no metadata!) to Maps. IRC Channel #paranormio.
- RadioShack: RadioShack is going bankrupt. IRC Channel #unshackled.
- Ownlog: Ownlog is losing popularity and support from its owners. IRC Channel #pwnlog.
- Google Groups: "Gone within a year" (SketchCow, 2016-06-07).
- SoundCloud: Might get blown away by Hurricane Debt and Hurricane Copyright. IRC Channel #soundclown.
- The Pirate Bay: Recently came back up, grabbing an archive for sanity's sake. IRC Channel #yarharfiddlededee.
Went into liquidation on March 11, 2015, future uncertain. Acquired on March 25, 2015, we're still grabbing it anyway. IRC Channel #fotofinish.
Hiatus / Missed the Mark
- ZippCast: Owner has had enough, zipping up servers on June 5, 2016. IRC Channel #archiveteam.
- Olympe: French webhosting provider out of money, on the way to Taygetus. IRC Channel #archiveteam.
ArchiveTeam uses the EFnet IRC network – irc://irc.efnet.org – webchat: http://chat.efnet.org:9090 – More info
What is What
- Deathwatch is where we keep track of sites that are sickly, dying or dead.
- Fire Drill is where we keep track of sites that seem fine but a lot depends on them.
- Projects is a comprehensive list of AT endeavors.
- Philosophy describes the ideas underpinning our work.
Some Starting Points
- Software will assist you in regaining control of your data by providing tools for information backup, archiving and distribution.
- Formats will familiarise you with the various data formats, and how to ensure your files will be readable in the future.
- Storage Media is about where to get it, what to get, and how to use it.
Quote of the Moment
"[Yahoo!] found the way to destroy
the most massive amount of history
in the shortest amount of time
with absolutely no recourse"
Internet Atrocity! GeoCities' Demise Erases Web History
By Dan Fletcher, TIME Magazine, Monday, Nov. 09, 2009
In The Media
- Bregtje van der Haak, VPRO Backlight, 2014-09-11
- (Also available at the Internet Archive)
- Jasper Bakker, Webwereld, 2013-11-29
- Cyrus Farivar, Ars Technica, 2013-10-21
- Ernesto, TorrentFreak, 2013-10-20
- Hieronim Walicki, CHIP.pl, 2013-06-18
- Trevor Owens, The Signal, Library of Congress, 2013-06-11
- Alvaro Ibanez, rtve.es, 2013-05-27. (Rough translation: Archive Team: superheroes that prevent us from falling into oblivion.)
- Sarah Perez, TechCrunch, 2013-04-22
- Bianca Bosker, The Huffington Post, 2013-03-27
- Kris Holt, The Daily Dot, 2013-03-13