HISTORY IS OUR FUTURE
And we've been trashing our history
Archive Team is a loose collective of rogue archivists, programmers, writers and loudmouths dedicated to saving our digital heritage. Since 2009 this variant force of nature has caught wind of shutdowns, shutoffs, mergers, and plain old deletions - and done our best to save the history before it's lost forever. Along the way, we've gotten attention, resistance, press and discussion, but most importantly, we've gotten the message out: IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY.
This website is intended to be an offloading point and information depot for a number of archiving projects, all related to saving websites or data that is in danger of being lost. Besides serving as a hub for team-based pulling down and mirroring of data, this site will provide advice on managing your own data and rescuing it from the brink of destruction.
Currently Active Projects (Get Involved Here!)
Archive Team recruiting
Warrior based projects
- NUjij: Dutch discussion platform being killed off on September 12, 2016. IRC Channel #archiveteam.
- Yahoo! Answers: It's Yahoo. It's been acquired. More questions? IRC Channel #noanswers.
- Orkut: Orkut got kut on September 30, 2014. It lives on as a public archive until September 2016. IRC Channel #throatkut.
- Bayimg: TPB's image hosting is also being flooded. IRC Channel #archiveteam.
- Fotolog.com: Photo sharing and social networking site
closing on February 20, 2016. Still saving. IRC Channel #fotologout.
- Google Code: Google likes Github more. Shut down on January 26, 2016, but we got a chance to go on saving. IRC Channel #googlecodeblue.
- LiveJournal: Very old, widely regarded as in decline, and has a lot of important stuff buried in it. IRC Channel #recordedjournal.
- PDF 2016: We've been given a long list of PDF files. We'll get'em. IRC Channel #pdflush.
- yuku: Lately yuku is very unstable and hosting thousands of forums. IRC Channel #archiveteam.
- URLTeam: URL shorteners were a fucking awful idea. IRC Channel #urlteam.
- WikiTeam (WARC format): Saving wikis and their external links for the Wayback Machine. IRC Channel #wikiteam.
Help us: ☞ Download and run your warrior ☜.
What's on: online tracker.
- myVIP: Second most popular Hungarian social network now on the verge of disappearing. IRC Channel #byevip.
ArchiveTeam uses the EFnet IRC network – irc://irc.efnet.org – webchat: http://chat.efnet.org:9090 – More info
What is What
- Deathwatch is where we keep track of sites that are sickly, dying or dead.
- Fire Drill is where we keep track of sites that seem fine but a lot depends on them.
- Projects is a comprehensive list of AT endeavors.
- Philosophy describes the ideas underpinning our work.
Some Starting Points
- Software will assist you in regaining control of your data by providing tools for information backup, archiving and distribution.
- Formats will familiarise you with the various data formats, and how to ensure your files will be readable in the future.
- Storage Media is about where to get it, what to get, and how to use it.
Quote of the Moment
"[Yahoo!] found the way to destroy
the most massive amount of history
in the shortest amount of time
with absolutely no recourse"
Internet Atrocity! GeoCities' Demise Erases Web History
By Dan Fletcher, TIME Magazine, Monday, Nov. 09, 2009
In The Media
- Bregtje van der Haak, VPRO Backlight, 2014-09-11
- (Also available at the Internet Archive)
- Jasper Bakker, Webwereld, 2013-11-29
- Cyrus Farivar, Ars Technica, 2013-10-21
- Ernesto, TorrentFreak, 2013-10-20
- Hieronim Walicki, CHIP.pl, 2013-06-18
- Trevor Owens, The Signal, Library of Congress, 2013-06-11
- Alvaro Ibanez, rtve.es, 2013-05-27. (Rough translation: Archive Team: superheroes that prevent us from falling into oblivion.)
- Sarah Perez, TechCrunch, 2013-04-22
- Bianca Bosker, The Huffington Post, 2013-03-27
- Kris Holt, The Daily Dot, 2013-03-13