HISTORY IS OUR FUTURE
And we've been trashing our history
Archive Team is a loose collective of rogue archivists, programmers, writers and loudmouths dedicated to saving our digital heritage. Since 2009 this variant force of nature has caught wind of shutdowns, shutoffs, mergers, and plain old deletions - and done our best to save the history before it's lost forever. Along the way, we've gotten attention, resistance, press and discussion, but most importantly, we've gotten the message out: IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY.
This website is intended to be an offloading point and information depot for a number of archiving projects, all related to saving websites or data that is in danger of being lost. Besides serving as a hub for team-based pulling down and mirroring of data, this site will provide advice on managing your own data and rescuing it from the brink of destruction.
Currently Active Projects (Get Involved Here!)
Archive Team recruiting
Warrior based projects
- NewsGrabber: Saving all news articles. Help with server power or by finding more newssites. IRC Channel #newsgrabber.
- Roblox Forums: Several forum sections are being "consolidated" into just a few by July 27th. IRC Channel #robloxd.
- URLTeam: URL shorteners were a fucking awful idea. IRC Channel #urlteam.
- WikiTeam (WARC format): Saving wikis and their external links for the Wayback Machine. IRC Channel #wikiteam.
- Eroshare: users' lewds are being DELET'd on June 30th. IRC Channel #nofap.
- Pixiv Chat: Pixiv's oekaki chat service is getting washed away on June 15th (JST). IRC Channel #savepixiv.
- Ipernity: Partnership talks remain rocky, fate remains unclear through February 2017. IRC Channel #ipfinite.
- ftp-gov: Oh, just everything the United States government hosts on FTP. Part of the wider Government Backup efforts. IRC Channel #cheetoflee.
Hiatus / Missed the Mark
- Yahoo! Answers: It's Yahoo. It's been acquired. More questions? IRC Channel #noanswers.
- Flickr: Yahoo! decided to kill it, now Yahoo has been acquired. IRC Channel #flickrfckr.
- Vine: Twitter killed the app and left an archive up, but videos likely won't last forever. Project currently on hiatus due to technical issues. IRC Channel #vinewhine.
- yuku: Lately yuku is very unstable and hosting thousands of forums. Project currently on hiatus. IRC Channel #archiveteam.
- PDF 2016: We've been given a long list of PDF files. We'll get'em. IRC Channel #pdflush.
- SoundCloud: In financial trouble and likely to shut down in Q4 2017. IRC Channel #soundbutt.
ArchiveTeam uses the EFnet IRC network – irc://irc.efnet.org – webchat: http://chat.efnet.org:9090 – More info
What is What
- Deathwatch is where we keep track of sites that are sickly, dying or dead.
- Fire Drill is where we keep track of sites that seem fine but a lot depends on them.
- Projects is a comprehensive list of AT endeavors.
- Philosophy describes the ideas underpinning our work.
Some Starting Points
- Software will assist you in regaining control of your data by providing tools for information backup, archiving and distribution.
- Formats will familiarise you with the various data formats, and how to ensure your files will be readable in the future.
- Storage Media is about where to get it, what to get, and how to use it.
Quote of the Moment
"[Yahoo!] found the way to destroy
the most massive amount of history
in the shortest amount of time
with absolutely no recourse"
Internet Atrocity! GeoCities' Demise Erases Web History
By Dan Fletcher, TIME Magazine, Monday, Nov. 09, 2009
In The Media
- Dani Deahl, The Verge, 2017-07-17
- Felix Knoke, Engadget DE, 2017-02-17
- Bregtje van der Haak, VPRO Backlight, 2014-09-11
- (Also available at the Internet Archive)
- Jasper Bakker, Webwereld, 2013-11-29
- Cyrus Farivar, Ars Technica, 2013-10-21
- Ernesto, TorrentFreak, 2013-10-20
- Hieronim Walicki, CHIP.pl, 2013-06-18
- Trevor Owens, The Signal, Library of Congress, 2013-06-11
- Alvaro Ibanez, rtve.es, 2013-05-27. (Rough translation: Archive Team: superheroes that prevent us from falling into oblivion.)
- Sarah Perez, TechCrunch, 2013-04-22