Maybe we should tell each other what sites we have archived on ours boxes ? I just started on http://ficlets.com/ . Joseph 12/01/09 5:20pm
i see that you noticed this, but each site page has a place for you to put your sig if you are working on it :) --Ross 02:23, 13 January 2009 (UTC)
Some logo/banner ideas I came up with when I had a bit of spare time. I'd appreciate it if people let me know what they think. --Josef K.
NICE --Ross 20:17, 17 January 2009 (UTC)
Added as our corner logo. --Jscott 23:51, 17 January 2009 (UTC)
I can't edit this page. The "C" in "GeoCities" needs to be capitalized. --Jimhabegger 07:04, 7 December 2009 (UTC)
What and where
Several things should be made clear on the main page for the readers of this site:
- a. Price: What will be done with the archived files? Will they be available for free to the public, or will there be a fee for it?
- b. UX: What is the user interface for retrieving the information?
- c. Availability: Is the info available now, or will it be so in the future?
I reached here when googling (or yahooing) for 'Archive Geocities'. I believe most other will do so too.
My pages were geocities.com/pashute1.
- ynventor (about my early inventions 10 years ago),
- beair (about an open school system in Israel)
- PRT webzine (all about alternative transportation) Pashute 14:35, 31 January 2010 (UTC)
FYI, when you view the front page in a browser window that's not super-wide (1120px or more), the "History is our Future" box looks really awkward. The text gets smushed into a tiny, really, long column next to the image. An admin should really change the layout to one column, with the image above the text. --Qwerty0 12:55, 5 April 2012 (EDT)
- Now better? Emijrp 07:32, 6 April 2012 (EDT)
Updating "Ended Projects" Section
The "Ended Projects" section of the main page (bottom right) has several sub-bullets intended to act as quick links to archives. As of now, they are stubs. The ArchiveTeam Warrior page has links for archives to most of them. They are:
- MobileMe - Apple's file storage and sharing service, currently hosting over 200 terabytes of data, shut down on June 30, 2012.
- Tabblo - A site where users told stories with pictures. Closed May 30, 2012.
- FanFiction.Net - Around 7 million fan-fiction stories hosted on what may be the largest site of its kind in the world. They're not shutting down but Archiveteam has a copy "just in case".
- No official collection at archive.org yet. Raw WARCs available at this search query on archive.org.
- Geocities - We archived most of geocities mother fuckers!
- FortuneCity - It may be gone but we've still got it
As well, the FortuneCity bullet is red-linked atm, since the actual page at FortuneCity that documented the archiving efforts has no space in its title.
I really think that the main page should have a constantly up to date "[how to] help us!" section in the most prominent place possible. Probably, right above or below the "Archive time" logo, a well visible box should atttract people to ArchiveTeam Warrior instructions for joining the constant efforts. Currently, unless one follows very closely the highly noisy IRC and Twitter chats, it's very hard to keep track of ongoing projects; the mailing list is not used at all. Our best chances are probably in building a big base of people who constantly run warrior instances with no need to worry about them. --Nemo 07:49, 12 June 2013 (EDT)
- I have a feeling that it may be the best to have the banner above the two main column boxes. I've started a page 'fork' over on User:GLaDOS/adventuretime. --GLaDOS 07:57, 12 June 2013 (EDT)
Case maintains this list of http://indiewebcamp.com/site-deaths (and prospective site deaths). A useful list to check periodically.
Quotes on main page
Maybe the quotes section could have monthly updates? Topics for the quotes could be about web history, link rot, preservation, service shutdown, etc. An example:
- "The loss of Twitpic will scoop out and destroy a massive, massive amount of twitter history. Even @librarycongress doesn't have this."
ArchiveTeam Twitter Feed
Olicool10 13:06, 7 February 2015 (EST)