The Pirate Bay
|The Pirate Bay|
|IRC channel||(on EFnet)|
The Pirate Bay is one of the largest and most popular torrent search engines. It's still having persistent legal problems. The tracker went down in November, but the site still serves torrents and magnet links. If a torrent is lost, it becomes impossible to connect to other computers distributing the shared files. Considering that there are links to TPB all over this wiki, this site is pretty dang important.
In case of Fire
To prevent damage to the Archive Team if The Pirate Bay ever goes down, we should include a Magnet Link next to every TPB link we have.
We can simply scrape the magnet links, descriptions, and comments. The hard part would probably be keeping it all updated... (Maybe we could use a git repository, and pull as necessary?)
Magnet links are provided in the Pirate Bay Magnet Archive below, and descriptions and comments are in the siterip.
- Magnet link Dumper: A perl script that dumps magnet links into a single text file. It was used to make the below magnet archive.
- The Archive Bay: I made a set of scripts that downloads all torrent page info (details, filelist, comments) to a folder of .csv files. Vertevero 18:06, 4 May 2012 (EDT)
- Dependencies: BeautifulSoup4 and requests
$ sudo aptitude install python-beautifulsoup4 $ sudo pip install requests
- The entire Pirate Bay Magnet Archive: Every magnet link on the Pirate Bay, all in a tiny little text file. No comments, though.
- Magnet Archive Viewer: Parsing text files can be a pain, so this program makes it easy to search and look at the magnet links.
- Siterip: This 3GB archive saves all the html pages from the Piratebay, including comments. No torrent files, as usual.