Difference between revisions of "URLTeam"
m (Adding spoti.fi shortener)
|Line 209:||Line 209:|
* tcrn.ch - Techcrunch
* tcrn.ch - Techcrunch
* nyti.ms - New York Times
* nyti.ms - New York Times
=== Dead or Broken ===
=== Dead or Broken ===
Revision as of 00:22, 15 March 2013
url shortening was a fucking awful idea
|Archiving status||In progress...|
|IRC channel||(on EFnet)|
TinyURL, bit.ly and other similar services allow long URLs to be converted to smaller ones on their specific service; the small URL is visited by a consumer and their web browser is redirected to the long URL.
Such services are a ticking timebomb. If they go away, get hacked or sell out millions of links will be lost (see Wikipedia: Link Rot). Archive.org/301Works is acting as an escrow for URL shortener databases, but they rely on URL shorteners to actually give them their databases. Even 301Works founding member bit.ly does not actually share their databases and most other big shorteners don't share theirs either.
Who did this?
- User:Scumola started this wiki page
- User:Chronomex started the Urlteam scraping effort
- User:Soult Helps with scraping
- User:Jeroenz0r Helps with scraping (and stalking Soult)
- ... many ArchiveTeam people who run the scrapers
The fine folks at archive.org have provides us with upload permissions to the 301Works archive: http://www.archive.org/details/301utm. They unfortunately do not want to make them downloadable, but the same data is in our torrents too, just in a different format (we use tab-delimited, xz-compressed files while 301works uses comma-delimited uncompressed files).
- fetcher.pl: Perl-based scraper by User:Chronomex
- TinyBack: Python 2.x-based, distributed scraper (also works with the Warrior)
The easiest way to help with scraping is to run the Warrior and select the URLTeam project. You can also run TinyBack outside the warrior, thought Python 2.6 or newer is required:
git clone https://github.com/soult/tinyback cd tinyback # Use ./run.py --help for more information on command-line options ./run.py --tracker=http://tracker.tinyarchive.org/v1/ --num-threads=3 --sleep=180
The new table includes shorteners we have already started to scrape.
|Name||Est. number of shorturls||Scraping done by||Status||Comments|
|Tinyurl.com||1,000,000,000||Warrior||scraping: sequential, <= 6 characters||new shorturls: non-sequential, 7 characters|
|Bit.ly||4,000,000,000||Warrior||scraping: non-sequential, 6 characters||new shorturls: non-sequential, 6 characters|
|Goo.gl||?||User:Scumola||started (2011-03-04)||goo.gl throttles pulls|
|is.gd||810,264,745 (2013-01-30)||Warrior||scraping: sequential, <= 5 characters||new shorturls: non-sequential, 6 characters|
|ff.im||?||User:Chronomex||only used by FriendFeed, no interface to shorten new URLs|
|4url.cc||1279 (2009-08-14)||User:Chronomex||dead (2011-02-15)|
|litturl.com||17096 (2010-04-15)||User:Chronomex||dead (2010-11-18)|
|xs.md||3084 (2009-08-15)||User:Chronomex||done||dead (2010-11-18)|
|url.0daymeme.com||14867 (2009-08-14)||User:Chronomex||done||dead (2010-11-18)|
|tr.im||1990425||User:Soult||got what we could||dead (2011-12-31)|
|adjix.com||?||User:Jeroenz0r||Already done: 00-zz, 000-zzz, 0000-izzz.||case-insensitive, incremental|
|rod.gs||?||User:Jeroenz0r||Done: 00-ZZ, 000-2Qc||case-sensitive, incremental, server can't keep up with all the requests.|
|biglnk.com||?||User:Jeroenz0r||Done: 0-Z, 00-ZZ, 000-ZZZ||case-sensitive, incremental|
|go.to||60000||User:Asiekierka||Done: ~45000 (go.to network links only: goto_dump.zip)||no codes, only names, google-fu only gives the first 1000 results for each, thankfully most domains have less|
|Name||Number of shorturls||Scraping done by||Status||Comments|
Last verified 2013-02-13. Original list last updated 2009-08-14 .
- budurl.com - Appears non-incremental
- cli.gs - Appears non-incremental
- decenturl.com - Not at all easy to scrape.
- doiop.com - Appears non-incremental
- easyurl.net - Appears non-incremental: http://easyurl.net/afd2f
- ilix.in - HTML redirect
- jdem.cz - Incremental with random (?) last digit: http://jdem.cz/bw388
- metamark.net / xrl.us - ? http://xrl.us/bfabog
- myurl.in - http://myurl.in/xtP5H / http://urlgator.com/xtP5H /http://ug4.me/xtP5H / http://link-ed.in/xtP5H - HTML redirect
- notlong.com - Appears to be alpha-only: http://yeitoo.notlong.com/
- nutshellurl.com - Appears incremental. 301s to a redirector script, which then 301s you to the destination.
- redirx.com - Lowercase alpha only, appears sequential or guessable: http://redirx.com/?wyok
- sharedby.co - See vsb.li. Double redirects via USERNAME.sharedby.co/share/XXXXXX
- shorl.com - Doesn't appear guessable: http://shorl.com/tisikestibahu
- shorturl.com - Probably sequential/loweralpha: http://alturl.com/wqok
- shrinkurl.us - Alway telling URL is malformed
- shrt.st - Appears incremental: http://shrt.st/vpz
- simurl.com - Doesn't appear guessable: http://simurl.com/panpes
- smarturl.eu / joturl.com / zip.sm - Doesn't appear guessable, HTML redirect.
- snipr.com / snipurl.com / snurl.com - Appears incremental: http://snipr.com/27nvst http://snipr.com/27nvtt
- surl.co.uk - Many shortening options.
- tighturl.com - Appears incremental: http://tighturl.com/30xu http://tighturl.com/30xv
- tiny.cc - Appears non-incremental
- tr.im (2nd generation)
- tweetburner.com / twurl.nl - Appears incremental
- u.mavrev.com - Not accepting new urls.
- ur1.ca - Database is downloadable from website directly.
- vsb.li / links.visibli.com/links/ - The latter uses truncated md5 hex string.
- xrl.us - see metamark.net
- yatuc.com - Not accepting new urls.
- fnd.us (See offical shorteners)
- shar.es (See offical shorteners)
- goo.gl - Google
- fb.me - Facebook
- y.ahoo.it - Yahoo
- youtu.be - YouTube
- t.co - Twitter
- post.ly - Posterous
- wp.me - Wordpress.com
- flic.kr - Flickr
- lnkd.in - LinkedIn
- su.pr - StumbleUpon
- go.usa.gov - USA Government (and since they control the Internets, it doesn't get much more official than this)
- db.tt - DropBox
- fnd.us - Fundrazr.com
- shar.es - ShareThis
- spoti.fi - Spotify
- amzn.to - Amazon
- binged.it - Bing (bonus points for being longer than bing.com)
- 1.usa.gov - USA Government
- tcrn.ch - Techcrunch
- nyti.ms - New York Times
- gaw.kr - Gawker
Dead or Broken
- x.se - Cannot resolve, but www.x.se works.
- pnt.me - Doesn't appear guessable, too big a space to bruteforce: http://pnt.me/FzAblc
- 1link.in - Website dead
- 6url.com - HTML redirect, Error 500
- ad.vu - mirror of adjix.com, application not found
- canurl.com - Website dead
- chod.sk - Appears non-incremental, not resolving
- digg.com - discontinued - 
- dwarfurl.com - Website dead/Numeric, appears incremental: http://dwarfurl.com/08041
- easyuri.com - Website dead/Appears hex incremental with last digit random/checksum: http://easyuri.com/1339f , http://easyuri.com/133a3
- go2cut.com - Website dead
- gonext.org - not resolving
- imfy.us - requires a recaptcha to get to the linked site, and avast goes nuts. DNS fails to resolve.
- ix.it - Not resolving
- jijr.com - Doesn't appear to be a shortener, now parked
- jump.to - dead as of February 1, 2013
- kissa.be - "Kissa.be url shortener service is shutdown"
- kl.am - "kl.am Closes its Shell"
- kurl.us - Parked.
- lnkurl.com - Website dead
- memurl.com - Pronounceable. Broken.
- miklos.dk - Doesn't appear guessable: http://miklos.dk/!z7bA6a - "Vi arbejder på sagen..."
- minilien.com - Doesn't appear guessable: http://minilien.com/?9nyvwnA0gh - Website dead
- minurl.org - Presently in ERROR 404
- muhlink.com - Not resolving
- myurl.us - cpanel frontend
- nyturl.com - NY Times (bonus points for being longer than nyt.com, which they own). Taken by squatters
- s3nt.com - Probably sequential. http://s3nt.com/aa goes somewhere different from /ab . Domain parked.
- shortlinks.co.uk - Working again. Maybe not.
- short.to - Domain is parked - Probably sequential/loweralpha: http://short.to/msmp
- shrinklink.co.uk - Doesn't appear sequential: http://www.shrinklink.co.uk/45bmx , www.shrinklink.co.uk/npk6xp . Domain parked.
- traceurl.com - DNS fails to resolve.
- tr.im (1st generation) - "Be back soon!"
- twitpwr.com - Domain parked.
- u.nu - "The shortest URLs. period." Website dead since at least 1st of october 2010 (http://web.archive.org/web/20100104023208/http://u.nu/)
- url9.com - Sequential, alphanumeric. Leading 0s are significant. "The site is working correctly."
- urlborg.com - 404 Not Found.
- urlcover.com - Domain parked.
- urlhawk.com - Domain parked.
- url-press.com - Suspended by web host.
- urlsmash.com - DNS not resolving.
- urltea.com - Dreamhost's coming soon page.
- urlvi.be - Domain parked.
- urlx.org - Owner has agreed to share his database
- w3t.org - 403 Forbidden.
- wlink.us - Domain parked.
- xaddr.com - Domain parked.
- xil.in - Under construction.
- xym.kr - Gibberish (?) Korean text blog.
- yweb.com - Suspicious iframe with long url and fake loading gif image.
- zi.ma - DNS not resolving.
- urlbrief.com - co-operates with 301Works.org