HotSpot™ is a Java Runtime Environment developed by Oracle that runs programs written in Java and is available for various operating systems. The commonly used informal name for HotSpot JRE is simply "Java", albeit many different JREs exist, it is the most popular.
The problem with HotSpot/Oracle downloads
We're deep-diving in the enterprise area™ here and we wouldn't be ourselves if we didn't make matters complicated. If for some reason you need to get access to an older version of JRE/JDK, officially you won't, unless you have an account (with a lot of information asked upon registration).
Java SE 7 End of Public Updates Notice
After April 2015, Oracle will no longer post updates of Java SE 7 to its public download sites. Existing Java SE 7 downloads already posted as of April 2015 will remain accessible in the Java Archive on the Oracle Technology Network.
Working Tips as of NOW
It goes without saying that you have acknowledged, read and fully agreed to Oracle's end user license present on their download page and whateverelse license.©
- e.g. 207775 is JRE 8u91 x64 for Windows.
- These links are either really new or only newest Java 8/9 downloads are available through these
Older links that work for JRE 6 and 7 releases:
- e.g. http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java/jdk/7/jre-7-windows-x64.exe
- keep in mind that "x64" stands for the CPU architecture label, Windows 32-bit binary is "i586"
- you will be greeted with an "Unauthorized request" error if you attempt too many downloads