Archive Team recruiting
- Want to code for Archive Team? Here's a starting point.
- Help us: ☞ Download and run your warrior ☜.
- What's on: online tracker.
- URLTeam: URL shorteners were a fucking awful idea. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Bitbucket: Kicking the bucket on Mercurial repositories by July 1 2020 to worship Git instead. IRC Channel (on hackint).
- 2019-2020 coronavirus outbreak: Documenting and preserving data, events, and impacts of the virus on society. IRC Channel (on EFnet)
- Yahoo! Groups: Years of internet threads, soon to go private-only. IRC Channel (on hackint)
- ArchiveBot: For those with lots of disk space, bandwidth and long-term commitment. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- WikiTeam: Saving wikis dumps (XML). And their external links for the Wayback Machine (WARC) as well as exporting MediaWiki databases. Permanent effort, everyone can help (you choose the size of your downloads). IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- MP3.com: Digging through the WayBack Machine's archives to build a database of all the DAM CDs made available through the site.
Upcoming & proposed projects
- Kinja: Deleting all user pages, maybe? IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Mixer: Video game streaming network shutting down 2020-07-23. IRC Channel (on hackint)
- Twitter: Deleting inactive accounts
2019-12-11sometime. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- GitHub: Embraced-uh, I mean, bought by Microsoft. IRC Channel (on hackint).
- Imgur: Image hoster decided that using it for hosting images is not permitted. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- JamiiForums: the Tanzanian government would like this gone. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- LiveJournal: Very old, widely regarded as in decline, and has a lot of important stuff buried in it. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Ownlog: Ownlog is losing popularity and support from its owners. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Reddit: Banning communities that generate bad PR for Reddit Inc. IRC Channel (on hackint).
- The Pirate Bay: Recently came back up, grabbing an archive for sanity's sake. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Valhalla: Where to store what even the Internet Archive doesn't have space for? IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Giphy: Bought by Facebook, to be "integrated" (assimilated) into Instagram https://news.knowyourmeme.com/news/facebook-to-buy-giphy
Recently finished projects
- League of Legends Boards & Forum: Riot forcing Boards to surrender at 20 then smiting it and the forum archive on March 16th. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- 8tracks: social network around audio streaming and creating playlists, was going to shut down 2019-12-31 but has been acquired and restored. IRC Channel (on hackint).
- Plays.tv: Stopping.tv on 2019-12-15. IRC Channel (on hackint).
- YouTube: Making playlists of liked videos private on 2019-12-05. IRC Channel (on hackint).
Hiatus / Missed the Mark
- Angelfire: Angelfire is a web hosting service that contains big chunks of early WWW history and has no proper backup. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Audit 2014: It's time to verify our shit. IRC Channel (on EFnet). THIS PROJECT IS ON HIATUS AND WILL BE RETURNED TO AS AUDIT2018.
Yahoo!SmugMug decided to kill it after finding Yahoo!'s plans to do so before they were bought by Verizon. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Freeml: Japanese mailing list provider is sending its final email 2019-12-02. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- FTP: Help us find and download all FTP sites! IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Google Groups: "Gone within a year" (SketchCow, 2016-06-07).
- Google News Archive: Let's store all newspapers at Google, WCGW? IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- DevPort: This portfolio SaaS provider has reportedly been having infrastructure issues, and removed their social media accounts. Possible impending shutdown.
- INTERNETARCHIVE.BAK: Grab a slice of the big cake of The Archive! IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- ISP Hosting: Finding ISP web hosting services before the Grim Reaper finds them. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- NewsGrabber: Saving all news articles. Currently paused. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Project Newsletter: Archiving e-newsletters, currently in development. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Quizlet: Flashcards and other learning tools IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Tumblr: Yahoo! considered killing it, now Yahoo has been acquired and Verizon declared war on NSFW blogs. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- yuku: Lately yuku is very unstable and hosting thousands of forums. Project currently paused. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
ArchiveTeam primarily uses the EFnet IRC network – irc://irc.efnet.org – webchat: http://chat.efnet.org:9090 – More info
ArchiveTeam also uses the hackint IRC network – ircs://irc.hackint.org:6697 (TLS required) – webchat: https://webirc.hackint.org/ – More info
- June 30th: Apple is shutting down MobileMe in favor of iCloud. Help us archive it!
- May 1st: Knol closes.
- April 30th: Fortune City is closing. Downloads are being sifted through now
- October 31st: The Geocities Torrent is published.
- May 1st: We got slashdotted! This has roughly doubled the number of people in the IRC_Channel, which you should totally join. There is now a FAQ up about the GeoCities project.
- April 28th: GeoCities is dying!