Archive Team recruiting
Warrior based projects
- Google+: Google finally realized they failed. Shutting down by April 2019. Archive Team's largest grab to date with 1.2 PiB (~1230 TiB) saved and counting. IRC Channel #googleminus (on EFnet).
Yahoo! SmugMug decided to kill it after finding Yahoo!'s plans to do so before they were bought by Verizon. IRC Channel #flickrfckr (on EFnet).
- Tumblr: Yahoo! considered killing it, now Yahoo has been acquired and Verizon declared war on NSFW blogs. IRC Channel #tumbledown (on EFnet).
- NewsGrabber: Saving all news articles. Help with server power or by finding more news-sites. IRC Channel #newsgrabber (on EFnet).
- URLTeam: URL shorteners were a fucking awful idea. IRC Channel #urlteam (on EFnet).
- WikiTeam: Saving wikis dumps (XML). And their external links for the Wayback Machine (WARC) as well as exporting MediaWiki databases. Permanent effort, everyone can help (you choose the size of your downloads). IRC Channel #wikiteam (on EFnet).
- FTP: Download all the FTP sites! IRC Channel #effteepee (on EFnet).
Active Projects Not Yet Ingesting
- Angelfire: Angelfire is a web hosting service that contains big chunks of early WWW history and has no proper backup. IRC Channel #angelonfire (on EFnet).
- JamiiForums: the Tanzanian government would like this gone. IRC Channel #jammedforums (on EFnet).
- GitHub: Embraced-uh, I mean, bought by Microsoft. IRC Channel #getgit (on EFnet).
- Imgur: Image hoster decided that using it for hosting images is not permitted. IRC Channel #imgone (on EFnet).
- LiveJournal: Very old, widely regarded as in decline, and has a lot of important stuff buried in it. IRC Channel #recordedjournal (on EFnet).
- Ownlog: Ownlog is losing popularity and support from its owners. IRC Channel #pwnlog (on EFnet).
- Reddit: Banning communities that generate bad PR for Reddit Inc. IRC Channel #shreddit (on EFnet).
- The Pirate Bay: Recently came back up, grabbing an archive for sanity's sake. IRC Channel #yarharfiddlededee (on EFnet).
- Valhalla: Where to store what even the Internet Archive doesn't have space for?
- GeoCities Japan: It's GeoCities all over again... The Japanese version shuts down in March 2019. IRC Channel #notagain (on EFnet).
Hiatus / Missed the Mark
- Textream: Yahoo! Japan killing yet another platform... Large Japanese discussion forum going down in early January 2019 (?). IRC Channel #textreamer (on EFnet).
- Google News Archive: Let's store all newspapers at Google, WCGW? IRC Channel #papersplease (on EFnet).
- Quizlet: Flashcards and other learning tools IRC Channel #quizletusin (on EFnet).
- yuku: Lately yuku is very unstable and hosting thousands of forums. Project currently paused. IRC Channel #archiveteam (on EFnet).
- Audit 2014: It's time to verify our shit. IRC Channel #auditteam (on EFnet). THIS PROJECT IS ON HIATUS AND WILL BE RETURNED TO AS A AUDIT2018.
- Google Groups: "Gone within a year" (SketchCow, 2016-06-07).
- The Escapist: Staff activity dwindling due to layoffs, remaining supporters are doing it for free. IRC Channel TBD.
- YTMND: Supposed to be "shutting down soon" in 2016, but still up 2 years later. IRC Channel TBD.
- DevPort: This portfolio SaaS provider has reportedly been having infrastructure issues, and removed their social media accounts. Possible impending shutdown.
ArchiveTeam uses the EFnet IRC network – irc://irc.efnet.org – webchat: http://chat.efnet.org:9090 – More info