Hacker News mainpage on 2014-10-23
|Archiving status||Not saved yet|
Hacker News is a social news website for programmers and entrepreneurs. It is run by the startup incubator Y Combinator.
Originally started as a demonstration of the Arc programming language by Y Combinator's co-founder Paul Graham, it has increasingly been getting more and more attention over the years. Probably won't disappear anytime soon without significant notice.
- Dump of Hacker News stories and comments up to 2014-05-29 (compressed JSON files), made through one of HN's official API. Total: ~10.7GB uncompressed. More info from the • • • .
- A more recent dump is described here: • • •
- Some comments and threads are also available on archive.is, including some that were lost during a • • • .
- Official API docs available at
• • •
- Older API at • • •
- "The site has a proactive attitude in moderating content, including automated flame and spam detectors." Comments made by hellbanned users are not viewable by other users, unless they have checked the "showdead" option in their profile.
- Example hellbanned user: • • •
- Dead comments can also be accessed through the official API. For example, • • •
- Threads and comments are accessible via the same URL: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=ID
- Each ID seems to be incremental. For example, • • • is the very first thread.
- The very first comment seems to be • • •
- • • •
- • • •
• • • (includes basic Hacker News setup)
- • • •