|URL||• • •|
|Archiving status||Partially saved (see Archives)|
|Project source||jux-grab, jux-items|
Jux is a creative blogging platform. It was announced that Jux would shut down on August 31, 2013, but this was later changed apparently due to financial support from one of their members. UPDATE: On November 5, 2014, Jux announced that they would be closing permanently at the end of the month on November 30, 2014.
- "With humble apologies, Jux will shut down on August 31, 2013. Until then, Jux is closed to new members. Thank you for everything. You may download your work or read more details."
On July 17, 2013, Jux's official blog announced that Jux would not be shutting down:
- "We are thrilled to say Jux will remain open and active. A passionate member of our community has stepped in to keep Jux not only alive but growing. We will have more to announce about the future off Jux soon."
(Their Twitter account also confirmed this.)
As of November 6, 2014, http://jux.com shows the main page without any notice. However, http://www.jux.com redirects to http://farewell.jux.com, where – among others – the following notice reads (if you accept cookies):
- "We want to thank our amazing Jux Community members for supporting the platform for nearly 5 years. Unfortunately, the costs to maintain the infrastructure have become overly burdensome for our generous supporters, so it is with great sadness that we announce the closure of the Jux services platform at the end of November."
The above notice was sent out in emails too.
- All the images seem to be stored on Amazon CloudFront, so they might still be up after the site's shutdown.
TODO: A script for easily backing up all the blogs would help with archiving Jux before it shuts down.
As of Nov. 20, the main API and site are 503ing. There is an alternative API, but this appears to be easily overwhelmed. However, the S3 bucket for the zips of user files is listable, so we can grab complete users from there.
Someone should do a quick grab of their Facebook and Twitter accounts.This has already been done with ArchiveBot.
Download Your Data
- "We realize that some of you have media stored on the Jux servers that you would like to preserve, so we have a link for you that will enable you to retrieve and download all your stored media files with one simple step. Sign in with your Jux credentials to export your media files."
According to Jux, going to "https://USERNAME.jux.com/!/mystuff" (when logged in) will allow you to backup your data. You can also backup some data in the JSON format without logging in as described here.
Partial archive grabbed by computerfreak - approximately 865,000 posts fetched. Available at https://archive.org/details/jux_posts_to_nov_24
Jux closed down their public CDN and their main website became unresponsive well before the shut down date, so we were not able to get a full archive.