What's going down
Archive Team recruiting
- GitHub: Embraced-uh, I mean, bought by Microsoft. IRC Channel #gitgud (on hackint).
- Tencent Weibo: Chinese Twitter-clone miniblog shutting down on September 28, 2020. IRC Channel #twocents (on hackint).
- URLTeam: URL shorteners were a fucking awful idea. IRC Channel #urlteam (on hackint).
- 2019-2020 coronavirus outbreak: Documenting and preserving data, events, and impacts of the virus on society. IRC Channel #coronarchive (on hackint)
- Yahoo! Groups: Years of internet threads, soon to go private-only. IRC Channel #yahoosucks (on hackint)
- ArchiveBot: For those with lots of disk space, bandwidth and long-term commitment. IRC Channel #archivebot (on hackint).
- WikiTeam: Saving wikis dumps (XML). And their external links for the Wayback Machine (WARC) as well as exporting MediaWiki databases. Permanent effort, everyone can help (you choose the size of your downloads). IRC Channel #wikiteam (on hackint).
- MP3.com: Digging through the WayBack Machine's archives to build a database of all the DAM CDs made available through the site.
Upcoming & proposed projects
Recently finished projects
- Clutch: Game clips site that lost a clutch-or-kick bet, getting kicked on August 14 2020. IRC Channel #pearls (on hackint).
- Bitbucket: Kicking the bucket on Mercurial repositories by July 1 2020 to worship Git instead. IRC Channel #kickthebucket (on hackint).
- Mixer: Video game streaming network shutting down 2020-07-23. IRC Channel #mixdown (on hackint)
Hiatus / Missed the Mark
ArchiveTeam primarily uses the hackint IRC network – ircs://irc.hackint.org:6697 (TLS required) – webchat: https://webirc.hackint.org/ – More info
ArchiveTeam also has some channels left on the EFnet IRC network – irc://irc.efnet.org – webchat: http://chat.efnet.org:9090 – More info
In the news
History is our future.
And we've been trashing our history
The Archive team is dedicated to preserving the contents of "web 2.0" sites that shut down without returning their users data.
Feel free to join us on the IRC channel! We're on the EFnet network in a channel called #archiveteam, where we say truly awful things.
- Deathwatch is where we keep track of sites that are sickly, dying or dead.
- Fire Drill is where we keep track of sites that seem fine but a lot depends on them.
- Projects is to keep track of AT endeavors.
- Philosophy describes the ideas underpinning our work.
DIY Data Rescue
- Software will assist you in regaining control of your data by providing tools for information backup, archiving and distribution.
- Formats will familiarise you with the various data formats, and how to ensure your files will be readable in the future.
- Storage Media is about where to get it, what to get, and how to use it.