What's going down
Archive Team recruiting
- URLTeam: URL shorteners were a fucking awful idea. IRC Channel #urlteam (on hackint).
There will be fewer Warrior projects than usual due to the virtual appliance being unable to run many newer projects that utilize wget-at. It will take a little bit of time before an updated version is available that can run it.
- .EU domains: The Brexit deal is done, and with that comes a purge of UK-based sites no longer eligible to use the .EU domain as of 2021. IRC Channel #noteurdomain (on hackint).
- Endomondo: GPS workout tracker with optional social networking features, shutting down 2020-12-31. IRC Channel #findelmundo (on hackint).
- Flash domains: An effort to preserve what remains of a storied legacy of websites hosting Adobe Flash Player content before the web industry takes it behind the shed. IRC Channel #flashbang (on hackint).
- Classic Google Sites: Making more sites inaccessible to the public starting September 1, 2021. IRC Channel #nearlylostmygoogles (on hackint).
- Reddit: Banning communities that generate bad PR for Reddit Inc. Currently grabbing new material. IRC Channel #shreddit (on hackint).
- GitHub: Embraced-uh, I mean, bought by Microsoft. IRC Channel #gitgud (on hackint).
- 2019-2020 coronavirus outbreak: Documenting and preserving data, events, and impacts of the virus on society. IRC Channel #coronarchive (on hackint)
- ArchiveBot: For those with lots of disk space, bandwidth and long-term commitment. IRC Channel #archivebot (on hackint).
- WikiTeam: Saving wikis dumps (XML). And their external links for the Wayback Machine (WARC) as well as exporting MediaWiki databases. Permanent effort, everyone can help (you choose the size of your downloads). IRC Channel #wikiteam (on hackint).
- MP3.com: Digging through the WayBack Machine's archives to build a database of all the DAM CDs made available through the site.
Upcoming & proposed projects
- Fast.io: A CDN for cloud storage services which will evaporate completely on 2021-01-15. IRC Channel #slowio (on hackint).
- Halo: Back to finishing off unfinished business before Bungie kills the original website on February 9, 2021. IRC Channel #yolohalo (on hackint).
- Webs: Vistaprint is killing off the Freewebs you knew from the 2000s on March 31, 2021, unless you pay up. IRC Channel #webbed (on hackint).
- Periscope: Another Twitter acquisition, another shutdown. This time, its live-streamer gets to join Vine in the bin at the end of March. IRC Channel #microscope (on hackint).
- Google Poly: A 3D art repository that Google will send to the trash compactors on June 30, 2021. New uploads cease April 30. IRC Channel #polygone (on hackint).
- Chrome Web Store: Google has announced a timeline of policy changes that will lead to content being removed between December 1, 2020 and June 2022. IRC Channel #chromeweblore (on hackint).
- Kinja: Deleting all user pages, maybe? IRC Channel #gokinjagokinjago (on hackint).
- Twitter: Deleting inactive accounts
2019-12-11 sometime. IRC Channel #twitterdead (on EFnet).
- MediaFire: Setting fire to accounts and files it deems "abandoned" starting in January 2021. IRC Channel #mediaonfire (on hackint).
- Imgur: Image hoster decided that using it for hosting images is not permitted. IRC Channel #imgone (on EFnet).
- JamiiForums: the Tanzanian government would like this gone. IRC Channel #jammedforums (on EFnet).
- LiveJournal: Very old, widely regarded as in decline, and has a lot of important stuff buried in it. IRC Channel #recordedjournal (on EFnet).
- Ownlog: Ownlog is losing popularity and support from its owners. IRC Channel #pwnlog (on EFnet).
- The Pirate Bay: Recently came back up, grabbing an archive for sanity's sake. IRC Channel #yarharfiddlededee (on EFnet).
- Valhalla: Where to store what even the Internet Archive doesn't have space for? IRC Channel #huntinggrounds (on EFnet).
- Giphy: Bought by Facebook, to be "integrated" (assimilated) into Instagram https://news.knowyourmeme.com/news/facebook-to-buy-giphy
Recently finished projects
- SmackJeeves: Webcomics host being tossed into the incinerator on 2020-12-31. IRC Channel #archiveteam-bs (on hackint).
- Voat: A reddit competitor from the Ellen Pao days gives its users a Christmas present: it's fucking dead! IRC Channel #scrapevoat (on hackint).
Hiatus / Missed the Mark
ArchiveTeam primarily uses the hackint IRC network – ircs://irc.hackint.org:6697 (TLS required) – webchat: https://webirc.hackint.org/ – More info
ArchiveTeam also has some channels left on the EFnet IRC network – irc://irc.efnet.org – webchat: http://chat.efnet.org:9090 – More info
About Archive Team
The Archive Team saves shit that companies abandon.
Feel free to join us on the IRC channel! We're on the EFnet network in a channel called #archiveteam, where we say truly awful things.
- Projects is a list of Archive Team projects.
DIY Data Rescue
- The FAQ is where we answer common questions
- Software is all about the tools you need to save your stuff.
- Formats concerns formats, and how they die.